"If you get all the people in an organization rowing in the same direction, you could dominate any industry, in any market, against any competition, at any time."
Patrick Lencioni, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team
In his book, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, Patrick Lencioni examines why effective teams are so rare and provides specific recommendations for eliminating barriers that lead to dysfunctional teams.
Lencioni’s work outlines the causes of team dysfunctionality and what can be done to overcome each one.
The five dysfunctions are:
1. Absence of Trust. Teams who lack trust conceal weaknesses and mistakes, hesitate to ask for help, jump to conclusions about the intentions of others, hold grudges and dread meetings.
2. Fear of Conflict. A lack of trust leads to the fear of conflict. In these companies, employees worry more about politics and personal risk management than solving problems. Meetings are often boring because controversial topics are avoided.
3. Lack of Commitment. When teams become conflict-avoidant, a fear of failure develops. These teams have difficulty making decisions and second guess themselves.
4. Avoidance of Accountability. Second-guessing and a lack of common objectives then leads to an inability to develop standards for performance. Team members miss deadlines and deliver mediocre work.
5. Inattention to results. When teams lack focus and clear objectives, team members stagnate, become distracted, and focus on themselves.
Take the Assessment
Based on the best-selling book The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, the Online Team Assessment is the definitive tool for leaders and managers looking to make their teams more cohesive and effective. Used by nearly half of a million people, no single product has helped transform the landscape of teamwork and change the world of work more. This is the perfect starting place for anyone looking to overcome team dysfunction and realize their potential.
Simplicity is the key. Building a healthy team is not complicated, but it takes discipline and focus. With only 42 questions and a custom color-coded report, the Online Team Assessment provides teams with practical, usable data that will help address their most critical issues and begin to make tangible progress right away.
Stay Informed & Transform Your Team